The biggest reason customers decide not to purchase the steel building that they want is a fear of constructing the building kit. Will the steel frame construction require hours of professional labor? Will heavy equipment costs be too overwhelming to manage? These are all common concerns that come into play when considering steel building construction.
Simpson Steel Buildings are one of the easiest steel buildings available to construct! Our design is a steel truss design that is a completely bolt together building kit. You will not need to rent a crane or hire any welders. Here is a quick breakdown of what the construction process will look like.
Steel Building Construction Steps
Comprehensive building directions are crucial to successfully (and safely!) erect a steel building kit to the satisfaction of our customers. We’ve created an easy-to-follow list of instructions for you to follow when erecting a Simpson Steel building:
1. Pour the foundation and place the anchor bolts.
2. Attach columns to anchor bolts in concrete.
3. Attach girts (horizontal beam) to all columns and overhead door jambs.
4. Assemble the trusses on the ground rather than on the columns.
5. Hoist completed trusses onto columns and connect.
6. Attach purlins (horizontal beams but on the roof) to the tops of the trusses/rafters.
7. Double-check that all primary and secondary framing is erected, plumbed and the bolts properly tightened before sheeting begins.
8. Install the wall panels and wall insulation (if applicable).
9. Attach roof insulation (if applicable) and roof panels.
10. Add any translucent panels, gutters, downspouts, or other trim and seal the building to finish it off.
11. Have fun with your new steel building! Whether you plan to use the building as a garage, store materials, or even as a horse or livestock type of barn, your Simpson Steel Building is now ready for anything!
Comprehensive Steel Building Erection Manual
For a more detailed step-by-step breakdown of what is involved in building our kit, please refer to pages 8 and 9 of our Building Erection Manual, available for download on our website. Our erection manual has been prepared to help guide the building process of our kits and ensure customers are utilizing proper erection practices for safe, effective builds.
This erection manual is supplemental to the erection drawings that are come with each building kit, which represent each customer’s uniquely engineered requirements. The building erection drawings will always dictate when it comes to specific construction details and distinct building parts.
Remember, if steel frame construction still seems intimidating, there are likely countless experienced general contractors near you that can handle your project for you. A Simpson Steel Building kit is one of the easier steel building kits on the market to build. Being that it is completely bolted together with no welding or cranes necessary, our kit will help you save money in terms of labor costs!
If you have additional questions regarding our steel building kits, please don’t hesitate to contact our team at Simpson Steel Building Company today.